Saturday, July 14, 2012

The thing about friends

I've been thinking about it much lately and it sparked me off to write this post when I saw how K treated in general, girls.
K is my good friend and I'm not criticising how he dealt with everything. In fact, almost everyone is guilty of this and this is the way it works.

If you look closely on tumblr, twitter etc, one of the greatest things people can relate to his losing friendships.
The feeling is beyond heartbreaking and I myself have been lugging a heavy weight in my heart for all the friendships I've lost.

But people come and go. Always.

But that's not the point of this.
People come and go, especially if the friendship was never built to last.

As in K's situation, he became very good friends with S because he liked her.
Always finding opportunities to meet up, hang out, small sweet gifts, all the usual.
And I feel that's where girls get attached to the friendship, even though they know very well that they would never end up with the guy, they just love and treasure the friendship so damn much cos it's really a pretty good friendship right!

Girls are treated well, showered with attention when we're upset, find company during boring days.
I'm sure girls appreciate it a lot, I'm not saying they take it for granted.

But this 'friendship', like I said, was never built to last.
It will end as soon as the guy loses all feelings and attraction to her.
Shorter replies, infrequent meet ups, never going the extra mile again etc.

So this was what happened when K lost some attraction towards S.

Everyone is guilty of this. At some point of time in your life, encountered this personally or from a friend.

Which is sad, cos who do you blame for losing that friendship?

I would say, never get too attached to a friendship unless it's purely platonic.
And that's really hard for me.
I get way too attached to people.

Another kind of friendships that would never last: Friends who are out to make use of you.

Never go overboard with favours from friends. NEVER.
A recent friend of mine pissed me off so badly for asking for something so extra ridiculous that it took me about 4 seconds to recoil from shock and reply her.
Please know where the limit is.
I would usually go the extra mile for a friend but never above and beyond.

I need to stop being so attached and holding on to the past.

No comments: